Effectiveness of Cat-Cow Yoga in Managing Chronic Low Back Pain
|The safety and scientific validity of this study is the responsibility of the study sponsor and investigators. Listing a study does not mean it has been evaluated by the U.S. Federal Government. Read our disclaimer for details.|
|ClinicalTrials.gov Identifier: NCT04723225|
Recruitment Status : Completed
First Posted : January 25, 2021
Last Update Posted : February 8, 2023
|Condition or disease||Intervention/treatment||Phase|
|Chronic Low-back Pain||Other: Cat-Cow Yoga||Not Applicable|
A randomized control trial will be conducted. Subjects who have passed the eligibility criteria will be asked for their consent to participate in the study. Then they will be chosen into their groups randomly. Every individual will have a fair chance to be selected in the test group in which they will receive the intervention, while the control group will receive 'usual care'. The outcomes of the study will be examined before the intervention and after the intervention with an interval of 12 weeks.
Subjects for this study will be enrolled from different Health care professionals of Karachi, Pakistan. Participants of the study will have diverse ethnicity, culture, socio-economic status etc. participants will be considered eligible for the study if the meet all the requirements of the inclusion criteria. Subjects will be invited and motivated for their participation in the study through advertisement on the notice board of their office. Those who have volunteered for the study will be provided with a consent form with detailed description of the study about its aims, duration and expected outcomes.
The experimental intervention (Cat-Cow Yoga):
The cat-cow yoga therapy will be conducted in a conserved therapy center in Karachi. Session will start with a 10 minutes of warm-ups followed by 30 minutes of the therapy session in the afternoon three days a week (total 12 weeks).
The control intervention:
In control group, subjects will be given the usual care that if not vanishes the pain completely; will provide relief from the pain for the time being. Subjects in the control group will be asked to maintain a proper posture, take breaks during the work, remain active and to apply superficial heat if their pain exceeds their tolerance level.
|Study Type :||Interventional (Clinical Trial)|
|Actual Enrollment :||100 participants|
|Intervention Model:||Parallel Assignment|
|Primary Purpose:||Supportive Care|
|Official Title:||To Observe The Effectiveness Of Cat-Cow Yoga In The Pain Management Of Chronic Low Back Pain In Health Care Professionals|
|Actual Study Start Date :||January 30, 2021|
|Actual Primary Completion Date :||December 15, 2022|
|Actual Study Completion Date :||January 20, 2023|
Cat-Cow is one of the essential postures in yoga for its beneficial reasons. It is an alternate shift of posture from flexion of the back (rounded) to the extension of the back (arched). During each set of movement, inhalation and exhalation will be guided.
Other: Cat-Cow Yoga
Cat-Cow is one of the essential postures in yoga for its beneficial reasons. It is an alternate shift of posture from flexion of the back (rounded) to the extension of the back (arched). During each set of movement, inhalation and exhalation will be guided
No Intervention: Control
In control intervention group usual care will be provided.
- Pain Score [ Time Frame: 3 Months ]It will assessed with the help of Numeric Pain Rating Scale. using a 0-10 scale, where 0 corresponds to "no pain" and 10 to "the greatest pain possible."
- Extent of Disability [ Time Frame: 3 Months ]It will be detected with the help of Oswestry Low Back Pain Disability Questionnaire. This index is considered a standard to assess low back functionality, it has a total of 10 sections, and for each section with a possible score 5. The percentage improvement is calculated through the total possible score x 100.
- Substance P [ Time Frame: 3 Months ]Changes in the levels of Substance P will be observed during the span of the study in test and control groups.
- Beta Endorphins [ Time Frame: 3 Months ]Changes in the levels of beta endorphins will be observed during the span of the study in test and control groups.
- Stress Score [ Time Frame: 3 Months ]Physical stress of the participants will be evaluated with Sadaf Stress Scale (SSS) before and after the therapy in both the groups.
- Cortisol [ Time Frame: 3 Months ]Changes in the levels of Cortisol will be observed during the span of the study in test and control groups.
- Quality of Life Score [ Time Frame: 3 Months ]This measure will be evaluated from baseline to post intervention with the help of World Health organization Quality of Life (WHOQOL) Questionnaire
To learn more about this study, you or your doctor may contact the study research staff using the contact information provided by the sponsor.
Please refer to this study by its ClinicalTrials.gov identifier (NCT number): NCT04723225
|Koohi Goth Women Hospital|
|Karachi, Sindh, Pakistan, 24740|