Prevalence of Mental Health Issues in Endurance Athletes.
|The safety and scientific validity of this study is the responsibility of the study sponsor and investigators. Listing a study does not mean it has been evaluated by the U.S. Federal Government. Know the risks and potential benefits of clinical studies and talk to your health care provider before participating. Read our disclaimer for details.|
|ClinicalTrials.gov Identifier: NCT05768841|
Recruitment Status : Recruiting
First Posted : March 14, 2023
Last Update Posted : May 11, 2023
|Condition or disease||Intervention/treatment|
|Depression, Anxiety Mental Health Issue||Behavioral: mental health issues|
This study is an exploratory descriptive survey study.
The study protocol will be largely replicated from the IOC consensus paper and the questionnaires based according to SMHAT 1 with an athlete-specific screening tool (APSQ) and further eleven subsequent disorder-specific screening tools:
Eleven disorder specific screening tools:
- General Anxiety Disorder-7 (GAD-7): assesses the presence of symptoms of anxiety.
- Patient Health Questionnaire-9 (PHQ-9): assesses the presence of symptoms of depression.
- Athlete Sleep Screening Questionnaire (ASSQ): assesses the presence of sleep disturbance.
- Alcohol Use Disorders Identification Test Consumption (AUDIT-C): assesses the presence of alcohol misuse.
- Cutting Down, Annoyance by Criticism, Guilty Feeling, and Eye-openers Adapted to Include Drugs (CAGE-AID): assesses the presence of substance misuse, being slightly adapted for the SMHAT (no focus on alcohol use as already explored with the AUDIT-C; additional question to explore which substance was used).
- Brief Eating Disorder in Athletes Questionnaire (BEDA-Q): assesses the presence of disordered eating.
- Bipolar disorder
Additionally questions to assess exercise addiction will be used as it has been shown that exercise addiction may be particularly prevalent in endurance athletes.
Further questions about age, gender, country of origin, training data, past medical history and medication will be asked as well as a few specific questions about there thoughts on mental health issues as per IOC consensus paper
|Study Type :||Observational|
|Estimated Enrollment :||500 participants|
|Official Title:||Prevalence of Mental Health Issues in Endurance Athletes.|
|Actual Study Start Date :||March 15, 2023|
|Estimated Primary Completion Date :||September 30, 2023|
|Estimated Study Completion Date :||September 30, 2023|
participants that have or are participating in endurance sports
Behavioral: mental health issues
survey on mental health issues in endurance athletes
- Number of participants with mental health issues [ Time Frame: March-September 2023 ]Number of participants with mental health issues
- Number of participants with risk factors associated with mental health issues [ Time Frame: March-September 2023 ]Number of participants with risk factors associated with mental health issues
To learn more about this study, you or your doctor may contact the study research staff using the contact information provided by the sponsor.
Please refer to this study by its ClinicalTrials.gov identifier (NCT number): NCT05768841
|Contact: Volker Scheer, Prof||+33 4 25 36 79 firstname.lastname@example.org|
|Ultra Sports Science Foundation||Recruiting|
|Pierre-Bénite, France, 69310|
|Contact: Volker Scheer, Prof +33 (0)4 25 36 79 54 email@example.com|
|Principal Investigator:||Volker Scheer, Prof||Ultra Sports Science Foundation|